I need help with Loftus/ Palmer

Guest sportygirl2008

You don't need to get THE video. In fact, that'd be very very very hard...

Instead you can make your own video that could be similar in your own way (although that'd be very hard sine it concerns about car accidents, if you want to be precise with it). However, you could try to find a clip from a film (preferbly unknown), commerical or a general video. Just make sure to consider the copyright laws though.

The thing is however, that the video and the questions does not need to relate exactly to car accidents and speed because that isn't the point of your IA experiment isn't it? The point with it is to investigate information given after a certain events influences a person's memory regarding the event. I am sure you can instead find another video clip that could be applicable for that aim.

Edited by Afterglow

Like Afterglow said, you can make your own video clip. Three classmates of mine are also doing Loftus and Palmer this year and what they did was take a picture of a student, the student walks into a classroom asking the teacher something for a couple of minutes and then she/he leaves. After, the experimenters walk in and (having consented before doing experiment) give the students a piece of paper and ask them to write down as many details as they can remember of the student that just walked in.

hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Like Afterglow said, you can make your own video clip. Three classmates of mine are also doing Loftus and Palmer this year and what they did was take a picture of a student, the student walks into a classroom asking the teacher something for a couple of minutes and then she/he leaves. After, the experimenters walk in and (having consented before doing experiment) give the students a piece of paper and ask them to write down as many details as they can remember of the student that just walked in.

hope this helps.

There's also some recreations of the Loftus & Palmer experiment footage on YouTube - a couple are even good! Check out the web - there's so many sites on Eyewitness testimony, many of which have versions of the footage. You can also use sections of a film showing a scene like a car accident. One of our HL last year used a Blues Brothers except and got a 7. :)

• 4 months later...
hi.

i was starting to work on my IA for loftus and palmer but then i faced a problem. How am i suppose to ge the video..plz reply i need immediate help. thnx

Hmm well this might be a problem... especially if you're doin SL. if you are doing SL then you might need to get your teacher to help you track it down, because i think you're meant to recreate the experiment exactally in SL. although little things like not having the same video may not count. im not sure about that one

But if your doing HL then remember that your're allowed to change one thing about the experiment. This could be the thing that you change.

Otherwise, it'll probaly be okay to use you're own video from a movie or advertisement that the participants would not have seen before.

Otherwise good choice. Perseption IA's are meant to be really good to do.

I remember an older psychology student doing this one on my class in yr 6 and they used a clip from the truman show... i dont realy remember whcih bit but i remember there was a red bus :( although im not sure wheather this will be helpeull at all or nor. haha probabl not :)

-hope i was of some assistance

-soph x

hi.

i was starting to work on my IA for loftus and palmer but then i faced a problem. How am i suppose to ge the video..plz reply i need immediate help. thnx

Find a video that is similar to the one that Loftus and Palmer used. It doesn't need to be the exact video, as long as it follows on with what you are focusing on.

:D

I did this for my IA, and had the same problem.

instead of using a video, I threw a beanbag at the wall as the "collision"

and then did the same idea of smashed/hit/bumped as Loftus and Palmer did; asking about the speed of the beanbag.

However, this would require that you do all of the participants at the same time, because each time you throw the beanbag would be a different speed.

• 12 years later...